COVID19 community language information
COVID-19 has underlined the urgent need for a coordinated national framework of interpreters and translation services for Australia's Indigenous languages.
To help, the Centre has established a resource and information clearinghouse for translated materials.
The clearinghouse for translated materials and resources has been managed, maintained and made accessible by the voluntary work of CoEDL and ANU affiliates Ruth Singer and Mahesh Radhakrishnan.
The resources are now online:
- Visual Collection of resources in Indigenous languages: https://covid-19-indigenous-languages-translations.dropmark.com/793396
- Visual Collection of resources in English aimed at Indigenous communities in remote areas: https://covid-19-indigenous-languages-translations.dropmark.com/793398
Other useful resources available online by other organisations:
- Expression Australia has translated a version into Auslan, and a very useful link to SBS translations of (generic) COVID information into 63 languages
- The blog of the Foundation for Endangered Languages discussion on Covid-19 and minority and lesser-known languages
- A ‘Covid-19 Multilingual Poster-Maker’ facility (https://translationcommons.org/covid19multilingual/), forwarded on to us by Craig Cornelius at Google
- virALLanguages, is a volunteer-run initiative launched by a group of linguists, anthropologists, and activists coming from or working with local community members and in consultation with experts in public health
- Article by Alexandra Grey in the Conversation – based at the University of Sydney, Alexandra is the founder of the Interdisciplinary Law and Linguistic Researchers' Network
- Recent Linguistics in the Pub discussion topic Innovating and Adapting to Covid-19 restrictions: Aboriginal Community Language Programs available on YouTube
- Language on the move collation of resources
- Free access special issue of Multilingua (vol 39, issue 5), addressing linguistic diversity in responses to Covid-19
- Endangered Languages Project (ELP) COVID-19 Information in Indigenous, Endangered, and Under-Resourced Languages
- Resources related to COVID-19 for people using Augmentative and Alternative Communication
- Fieldwork resources in the time of CoVID19: Fieldwork Futures website by Carmel O'Shannessy